Language Arts & Literature Assignments/Homework
* Middle school students will occasionally be given the opportunity to update their reading logs in library class. Students should add books to their logs as they read them.
6th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 Minutes each night & work on genre requirement
* Be sure to check and sign your child's planner! (I check them every Monday).
* Spelling: Words this week come from our Quest literature book and the reading "Into the Mummy's Tomb". Spelling practice handout assigned on Tuesday and due on Wednesday, test on Friday.
* In Literature we are starting a new unit on non-fiction, informational text reading skills. This week we will:
WED.- vocabulary work started in class and finish for homework (due THURS)
THURS. partner read text, sticky-note inferences on each page & comprehension practice
FRI- answer questions about reading
* Writing and Punctuation- We will continue working on using apostrophes in our writing. We will have an apostrophe quiz sometime toward the end of next week.
7th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 minutes each night & set reading goals.
* Spelling Unit 21(do first 3 pages, due FRI, test FRI)
* In writing and punctuation we are working on identifying and writing different sentence types (simple, complex, compound, etc. as well as knowing the difference between an imperative, interrogative, declarative, etc.
* In literature we are starting a new unit on the Japanese Internment in which students will be reading novels or a memoir connected to this topic, completing a weekly journal assignment connected to their book, and meeting in literature circles to discuss their books.
* Literature Circle Journal #1- due Friday, February 23
*Literature Circle Journal #2- due Thursday, March 1
* Literature Circle Journal #3- due Thursday, March 7
8th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 Min each night
* Spelling- Unit 8, do first 3 pages, due FRI, test FRI
* In Literature we are continuing with our unit on Fairytales. We will be using our Daybooks all week and going through the different readings and lessons regarding fairytales, and analyzing fairytales for various elements.
* In grammar and writing we are working in Chapter 2. Students can expect a grammar and writing assignment on Tuesday (page 52, Ex. 2 & 3) and a lesson and an assignment on figurative language (expanded on from book) on Wednesday and Thursday. We will have a test over all of the concepts and punctuation and language usage rules in this chapter sometime next week. (Week of Feb 26-March 2).