Language Arts & Literature Assignments/Homework
6th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 Minutes each night & work on genre requirement
* No Spelling this week (May 22- May 26)
* Language focus- using and recognizing various literary devices
* We are continuing with our poetry unit which we will continue with for the next couple of weeks. Almost each day in class we will study a poet and some of their poetry or we will study a certain style or type of poetry. We will be writing poetry using the poetry we study in class as models.
TUES- Two Diamonte poems about people (Bring typed hard copy of poems to class)
WED- Definition poem (typed)
FRI- Animal poem (typed)
7th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 minutes each night
* No Spelling this week
* "Clauses" Practice 2- due TUES and complete (Next Step).
* We will be starting a new unit in literature this week in which we will be reading The Giver. Students will need to read an average about a bout 10 pages per night each night of the week. We will have a variety of assignments based on the book including vocabulary work, literature journals and weekly literature circle meetings as well as final test and project at the end of the unit.
Mon- read chap. 6
Tues- Venn diagram comparing and contrasting our community with Jonas' community, read ch. 7
Wed. Literature Circle Journal #1 due, read ch. 8 & 9
Thurs. Read ch. 10 & 11
8th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 Min each night
* In literature we will be continuing with our unit reading The Outsiders. We will be doing various reading comprehension and literature analysis assignments around this book, and we will have a test over the whole book after we have finished reading it.
Week of May 22-26
Monday- 8th grade on retreat
Tuesday- 8th grad eon retreat
Wednesday- For homework- finish Reading The Outsiders, chapters 11 &12
Thurs. Jigsaw activity (The Outsiders)
Friday- Junior Olympics
Week of May 29-June 2
Monday- No school- Memorial Day
Tues. 3rd Trimester Reading Log due, Final Review for test on The Outsiders
Wed. Outsiders final test, begin movie after test
Thurs. View the movie/compare with book
FRI- 8th grade Field Trip (Art Walk?)