Language Arts & Literature Assignments/Homework
6th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 Minutes each night & work on genre requirement
* No Spelling this week (June 5- June 9)
* Language focus- using and recognizing various literary devices
* We are continuing with our poetry unit which we will continue with for the next couple of weeks. Almost each day in class we will study a poet and some of their poetry or we will study a certain style or type of poetry. We will be writing poetry using the poetry we study in class as models.
TUES- Four Quatrains assigned (typed draft due WED)
WED- Finish 8th grade cards- (card and gift due THURS)
THURS- Ode poem assigned (typed draft due FRI)
FRI- Alliteration Poem assigned (typed draft due MON)
Due JUNE 8- 3rd Trimester Reading Log
Due JUNE 8- Poetry Notebook- including: table of contents, final draft of each poem, illustration or image of each poem.
JUNE 8 (Thursday)- Parents are welcome to stop by our classroom from 9:30-10:10 to hear and see some of the poetry we have been working on!
7th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 minutes each night
* No Spelling this week
* We are continuing with reading The Giver. Students will need to read an average about a bout 10 pages per night each night of the week. We will have a variety of assignments based on the book including vocabulary work, literature journals and weekly literature circle meetings as well as final test and project at the end of the unit.
- Finish reading The Giver by Wednesday.
- Literature Circle Journal #3 due over chapters 17-23 on THURS
- Final Test on The Giver- Friday, June 9 (closed book test)
- Reading log (hard copy of all three trimesters of the school year must be printed before class) due FRI June 9
- View Movie of The Giver on Monday and Tuesday June 12 & 13. Permission slip must be turned in- due FRI June 9.
8th Grade Assignments
* Read 30 Min each night
* In literature we will be continuing with our unit reading The Outsiders. We will be doing various reading comprehension and literature analysis assignments around this book, and we will have a test over the whole book after we have finished reading it.
Week of May 22-26
Monday- 8th grade on retreat
Tuesday- 8th grad eon retreat
Wednesday- For homework- finish Reading The Outsiders, chapters 11 &12
Thurs. Jigsaw activity (The Outsiders)
Friday- Junior Olympics
Week of May 29-June 2
Monday- No school- Memorial Day
Tues. 3rd Trimester Reading Log due, Final Review for test on The Outsiders
Wed. Outsiders student created "test" (one question for each of the 12 chapters, use a variety of question types, and provide separate answer key; The Outsiders final test, begin movie after test
Thurs. View the movie/compare with book (last LA/LIT class)
FRI- 8th grade Field Trip (Art Walk)